Saturday, October 18, 2008

Come on....just 60 more miles

I am no stranger to tow trucks and breaking down. All of my vehicles have been at least ten years old, and my oldest is 29. I have ceased to get anxious at the sound of cop cars, because all of my experience with police has been positive. Sirens are more of a welcoming sound, it lets me know that crazy drivers are going to keep their urges at bay.


This is the first time however that the bus has broken down. My big question was why. As soon as the big engine groaned to a stop I had already put the wheels into work to get her running, but the big question was, is it even possible? I hurriedly put on my work cloths and had Amanda pull out the tool box. She pulled out her phone and started dialing for tow assistance. I rushed to get out the new diesel fuel filter. Diesel sprayed everywhere, covering me and the engine with oily goo. Fifteen minutes later I was back in the cab trying to breath life back into the engine, but still no luck. The police were hurrying along the process as much as possible, and informed us that a tow was imminent if Good Sams Club was unable to find a tow truck driver.

I kept working away hoping that I would run into luck and not have the large and expensive vehicle towed and worked on. I was wondering to myself if the cold weather had somehow caused the grease to congeal leaving the lines like a fast food victims arteries. No way I would find out now on this hill where the bus was broken down. The Fall day was at least a pleasant temperature a easy to be outside working on a steel vehicle.


After a 45 minute ordeal, the truck came. Doug our driver was a kind soul, and very helpful. We got the truck loaded and headed off to the Cummings diesel repair shop in Portland Maine. Once the truck was unloaded the shop foreman realized that they couldn't do anything for us because we needed to go to the international dealer. This may have been an error on my part, since the engine we had was not a Cummings, but rather a International DT466, the workhorse of many vehicle that help keep our country running on petroleum.

The next morning another tow truck came and towed us to our next repair shop. Five days later our RV is still broken and the shop still does not know when they will look at it. I would highly recommend not going to the Brattain International Dealer in Portland Oregon. It is horrid to be stuck anywhere, but even more so when the repair shop keeps telling you it will get looked at, and they are down several guys. Who hasn't hear that story before. The only thing worse would be the news that the vehicle work cost about as much to fix as it was worth.

No comments: